This is one of the best recipes to use leftover mashed potatoes, especially after the holidays! A mixture of fresh herbs, garlic and some cheesy goodness makes this potato pancake perfection.
These Onion and Cheddar Mashed Potatoes Cakes are delicious and SO flavorful. The chopped fresh parsley adds a burst of freshness, the cheese oozes when you cut them open with your fork, and of course, I had to add onion and garlic.
These potato cakes are great as a meatless meal by themselves or with a salad, or add them as a side with some chicken, pork or beef for a more complete meal. Make sure to top them with some extra chopped parsley, sour cream or sliced green onions!
- olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked mashed potatoes
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Saute onion and garlic in 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat until tender. Remove from heat.
- Combine onion mixture, potatoes, flour, eggs, cheddar, parsley, salt and pepper until mixed.
- Heat one teaspoon olive oil in a non stick skillet over medium high heat until hot. Drop potato mixture by rounded tablespoons into the skillet, flatten slightly and cook three minutes on each side until golden. Drain on paper towel to cool.
- Repeat with remaining potato mixture adding oil to skillet as needed. Serve immediately garnished with more chopped parsley, sour cream, cheddar or sliced green onions.
- * Start with 1 cup flour and increase up to 1 3/4 cup if needed. Some recipe testers stated these cakes tasted too much like flour, mine did not. It may depend on the amount of moisture in your mashed potatoes *